Monday 25 March 2013

FairIsle Felted Needle Case//Year Of Projects

So yesterday I headed off to The Woolly Brew for a First Steps In Fair Isle Workshop!! I've never even tried fair isle but it's been on my year of projects list since I started playing along in July 2012.
 
 
Anyways I headed off bright and early, into the freezing cold (wind AND snow) with a little bit of trepidation - I was nervous, what if I wasn't good at it? What I couldn't even find the shop? Obviously I made it and I'm actually not too bad at fair isle. Firstly we learned how to knit continentally both garter and purling; which was really interesting - I need to get better tension but it's alot faster!! Then it was straight in to the fair isle - which meant reading a chart, holding yarn in 2 hands and really concentrating hard.
 
I got to about row 22:
I'm really pleased with how it came out, is it perfect? NO! But it's really quite alright, and I had fun and learned alot - which of course is my motto for 2013. I've got another good bit to go but once it's finished I shall felt this piece (so mistakes don't matter too much) and knit a rectangle for the inside so it shall be a pretty needle case!!! I'm off to work on it right now.... if the painkillers for my cold hurry up and kick in!!!!
If you're stopping by from year in projects feel free to leave a comment and I will come visit you too!!
V xo

11 comments:

  1. Congrats on learning something new. It's quite pretty and will be awesome when felted for a needle case. One day, I shall give it try; but not sure I want to switch gears with the Contin. style knitting. I find changing habits a bit hard to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome. I went to a drop spindling class once and DID have trouble finding the shop. It was off a highway that had been renamed and poorly signed. When I finally figured it out I disrupted the entire class by walking in late :(

    Love the fresh colours in your fair isle - very spring-y. Sounds like it's been a great experience so far. It'll make a very pretty needle case.

    Now have some hot liquids and FEEL BETTER!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great. Imperfections and all. I love stranded and fairisle knitting, it's never boring!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done on learning a new technique, fairisle is something I'd like to learn but just no time this yop year. I love what you did and it looks great. Feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you feel better; I'm impressed that you can fair isle on the backside-- when I strand, I steek to avoid purling!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay you! For a first attempt at Fair Isle, I think it looks fantastic. Learning both stranded and continental style knitting in one sitting is something to be proud of. I've tried to learn continental but always give up too soon so now I knit with both strands in one hand and knit 'English' style. Seems to work for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like you had a great time...and learning a new skill is always a benefit....

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW..attempting to learn 2 new techniques in a sitting is amazing...I am just at the practice stage of continental..keeping the tension is fun..and all I do is swatches for practice..then frog..practice, frog...and you got to row 22...again..WOW...

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks great, and I don't think I'd have got that far learning two new things in one day! I really want to try fair isle, but I just haven't plucked up the courage yet!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fair Isle is a little scarier than it seems. I really love the look.

    ReplyDelete